Just Dropping By

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/6 @ f32
I almost never include ants in my images and rarely go for flys but this guy intruded on my comp the other day and since he cooperated I popped off a few frames. I DID NOT intend to shoot this at f32. The previous straight shot was at f22 and when the fly entered the comp I adjusted the aperture wheel to what I thought would be f16 or even f11 so I could get more SS. I turned the wheel the wrong way! Bear in mind that this camera and lens are almost an extension of my mind and has accounted for literally tens of thousands of images. I just don’t have to think with this rig in my hand. But when it seemed like the SS was pretty slow I looked at the display and was mortified to see my mistake. Perhaps I’'m getting addled. Oh well, the fly was still enough that I got one usable frame. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

Bill, the details in the Coneflower and the fly really stand out. I also like the oof but recognizable young flower on to the left. I suppose you could call this a, “fly by shooting”… :wink:. Nicely done.

3 Likes

Fabulous photo Bill, but I have to say, it is comforting to know I am not the only one who inadvertently aperture wheel the wrong way. The colors, detail and composition are just wonderful.

1 Like

Bill, this is a really nice “fly by shooting” shot! I love that, Mark. I think we all have been guilty of turning a dial the wrong way at times, maybe in our excitement to get a certain shot that we weren’t expecting. I sure love they composition of this, with the one coneflower in full bloom and the other on it’s way. I have one bloom in my yard, but unable right now to get out there and shoot with this back. In fact, I am not commenting like I normally do on here, because sitting at the computer gets me really stiff in the back. Great shot, and the fly is a nice addition.

Love the juxtaposition of the budding flower with the full bloom. great details on the flower. The fly is a plus.

Hi Bill and Ravi: Ravi’s thoughts are exactly mine, and the counterpoint between the full bloom and budding flower, along with their placement and relative size is my favourite aspect. Having the fly there too is a bonus! Nice shot.