Klamath River

This is at the mouth of the Klamath River in Northern California. It was a misty and overcast day. These two Great Blue Herons were so still as the waves crashed all around them. I like the knife-like “edge” of the sand vs. the water, and although this was a 2-second exposure, those two birds were motionless!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The B&W conversion was difficult. Mostly LR filters and brushes to add contrast.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the black angular sand provide sufficient visual interest for an otherwise ordinary scene?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

175mm, 2.0 sec, f/16, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

I really like this image especially that it is in B/W. Talk about edges. Sharp ones even at 2 seconds.

I quite like this one, Mark. The spit of beach pointing to the white water and the birds following the path is great. Excellent image.

1 Like

Mark, what a lovely image! It’s amazes me every time how long these birds can stand absolutely still. I do think the sand triangle gives a nice visual interest, especially how you captured the movement of the water at the beginning of the sand. For me the sky is just a little bright and the image overall needs just a little more contrast. Here is a quick edit I did. I also added a slight vignette to highlight the birds. But overall I really like your image, well done!

1 Like

Mark: This is superbly composed and captured. I think your decision to go B&W was spot on. Really well done. >=))>

Thanks everyone.
The brightness and contrast was difficult to decide on. Lots of ways to go. I like your edits @andrew_hertel, especially the darker sand and sky. And those stoic GBH do seem to stand out more! Thanks.

1 Like

Mark, the still birds, the sharp triangle of sand, the sense of motion in the water and those rocks at the edge in the distance make a very striking image, with a quietly peaceful and a touch somber mood. Well seen and presented. How nice of the GBH’s not to move for 2 sec.

1 Like

Oh, wow, this is superb! :+1: What a great composition. I love the contrast in your original; the birds stand out very well.

1 Like

This is a striking image. I am quite pleased it is rendered in black and white. This only enhances the quite graphic quality of the image. I thank you for letting me see it.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Anderson. Welcome to NPN!