Launch of the Osprey

The fog was lifting at the Anclote River Park in Holiday, Florida, this week and this Osprey was launching into flight from a nest the mating Osprey couple has been remodeling for the hatchling season. What a beautiful creature!

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I’m interested in all comments, but particularly welcome would be comments on the composition. Thanks in advance!

Technical Details

Panasonic G9 body, PL 100-400 lens at full 400mm. f/6.3, 1/2500, ISO640. Processed in DXO Photolab for noise, then LR and PS.

1 Like

You asked specifically about the composition.

I find it far too tight in the frame. I don’t know if, or how much this is cropped. Avian images work extremely well when the environment is an important part of the story. While I can see part of the nest in the image, I don’t know anything else about the habitat. I’m always strongly encouraging avian photographers to include more environment. Full frame images can obviously work sometimes, but a good image does not need to be just the bird.

Technicals: This is underexposed by about a stop. The whites are rendered as gray in the presented image.

Hi Paul,

I like the low perspective and the wing position.
The details are good too. :slight_smile:

Like Keith mentioned, sometimes it makes a better image if some of the environment is included unless there is some reason not to include it.
It looks like the nest may be hidden from view because of the low perspective but even implied can work (meaning the area around the nest shown can imply the nest is there).
And if this was full frame, maybe try to include some environment on future compositions if you’re interested in exploring that approach.

Having said the above, this is a fine shot as presented! :slight_smile:

Keep em’ coming! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your great comments, Keith.

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. They are greatly appreciated.

I agree with the above comments and would just add that I like the unusual wing position, and the fact that the wings are sharp. This position does allow you to crop in, but the bird needs space to unfold those wings at the least. Also, you caught the stare beautifully.

Great moment. Love the spectacular feather display. Just a tad dark to me. Well done.

1 Like

You captured a great moment! Always such a thrill. After my first impression of “wow!”…I feel you are very close to the nest, might just be the steep perspective. Also the bird and nest seem desaturated. The wing position and the detail are wonderful I want to see the colour too (unless you choose a black and white).

I cannot wait until our ospreys return in spring.

1 Like

You caught a great take-off pose with very good detail in the wings and tail. I know from my own experience there’s a tendency to show off the bird and thus crop down, but I once reviewed my own bird photos I liked best, and those showed a fair amount of environment. I guess it’s a balancing act. In any case, a fine photo of an Osprey.

The nest was about 50 yards away. But yes, the angle up to it was fairly steep.

Sorry. I need more coffee this morning. I meant the crop is very close. Just suggesting more room. I know that is a matter of taste and how you want to use the shot. This is a great photo.

1 Like