Osprey couple

D800, 1/1000. f5.6 500mm (300 f2.8 w/ 1.7tc)
Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

That’s a pretty amazing shot. Very sharp where needed. Love the “movement” in the wings and the focused look of the bird. Very nice touch to have the other bird looking on. Beautiful colors in the background too. My only very minor critique is that it feels a bit tight, mostly on the bottom where I’d like to see a touch more nest to not have the feeling of cutting off the sitting bird’s feet. But really, a great photo.

Beautiful landing pose on the incoming bird, Dan and I like the perched bird as well. I do think a tad more room at the bottom for the virtual legs of the bird on the next would be nice, but this is still a very powerful image. This looks like you were almost on a level with the nest-how did you manage that? All the ones around here are way up there.

Thanks, Dennis,
The nest is on a piling in the Columbia River and is at eye level from the bank.
This is a crop obviously, I could have more at the bottom and maybe should, but it
is basically unattractive sticks…
I sat on the bank for hours, on a lot of days to get this.

Great eye contact, tack sharp focus. and the motion in the outer wings is very good. I agree with others in that the nest needs to be more obvious. I’ll go on to say why. I had a similar shot with an eagle and cropped tight but I got several comments asking what it was landing on. come to find out everyone that asked were non birders and had no concept of the whole nesting scene. They needed just a bit more to visualize the scene.

Great shot

Pretty cool action image. Terrific blur in the wings along with the eye contact. Excellent timing.

Nice work Dan. i like your choice for DOF, the position of the wings on the incoming Osprey and the head turn on the nesting bird. Was the decision to crop tight on the bottom because this nest is resting on a nesting platform? If yes, I think it was a good decision because this would work better.

Super shot Dan, love the close up comp and the bit of wing blur on the bird coming in. I could see a little more room on the bottom, but I am fine with the comp as is.

Terrific frame, love it !