Osprey

I’ve just found this nest, which has 3 chicks that appear to be several weeks from fledging. It is the best nest I’ve worked for not having power lines or sticks poking up and always in the worst place to block the action. But it’s not very close to any access point.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000mm, f/14 (wide open), 1/3200 sec, ISO 3200. Cropped to 36% of the full frame. Minor tonal tweaks in LR and Topaz Denoise in PS. The image was a little soft and a touch of the High Pass “sharpening” technique helped quite a bit.

Quite a find! I like the wing position quite a bit. I can see that it was soft but you did have good job with the high pass filter. Maybe you will get another opportunity. I think you could add a little contrast to the nest.

Hi Diane,

The head and neck region of the osprey are soft and the highlights are fairly strong. I like the pose and the bird is positioned perfectly in the frame. I think that you will have other chances and hope to see the results fairly soon. Well done for the difficult nature of this shot…Jim

Hi Diane
I like the framing and action, the Osprey looks a little green and the highlights look clipped. It is hard to be at a respectable distance from the nest and get high quality photographs. Keep work on this nest.
Peter

Thanks guys! @Jim_Zablotny and @peter, it was severe clear, with thermal turbulence. I’ll have a chance to try much earlier in the day Tuesday. Good pickup on the greenish tint, Peter. I’ve tweaked the WB a bit toward magenta and it’s much better. Whites were sacrificed in an attempt to get some underwing detail. The head is pure white anyway, as far as I’ve ever been able to tell.

1 Like

Nice composition and great landing pose, Diane. Others have covered the issues I might have raised.