Layers

One of my favorite hikes to this view when I lived in Corvallis. I loved the way the sky looked on this day with different levels of clouds. How they almost seemed to belong to different skies…

Specific Feedback Requested

First off, thank you, so much, David, for taking the time to look at and critique everyone’s photos! It’s great to have my own stuff critiqued but I also will enjoy reading what you say about other images as well. I learn so much from this! Basically I would like critique on everything and anything. I need all the help I can get!

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 100, 105mm, f6.3, 1/1250. It was overall a pretty dull sky but I tried my best to make all the clouds stand out more by making it black and white and moving stuff around in processing, (I just move things until it looks the way I want. I have an iPad and use Pixelmator Photo for iPad for processing)

Vanessa

Thanks for submitting this image for critique!

The title of the image is very fitting :blush: How can one not resist all those layers! The first thing that I noticed is the cloud bank in the center of the frame is slopes downward. It’s almost as if those clouds are the horizon. We know it’s not, but it feels like it. If you can correct that the scene will feel a little more balanced. The b/w treatment works here with the light. You have some room in those highlights. I wouldn’t mind seeing the highlights a little brighter, and come down slightly on those mid tones. This will give the image a little more life.

I’ll attach a sample of the corrects!

Hope that helps!

DT

40ad6b09aa63a1cd31acf13cc3097895d174ace4_2_690x388

1 Like

Wow, @David_Thompson! You mentioning that cloud bank being slanted was exactly what was off about it but I couldn’t put my finger on it for some reason! How did you get it to be straight without making everything else look slanted? Thank you so much for your helpful feedback and showing me. I really appreciate it! :smile:

1 Like

You can use the warp tool in PS. Lets you get stuff nice and straight!

1 Like

Thanks @David_Thompson! I don’t have PS but I think I have something like that in the tool I have! I wanted to tell you I found your website. Your work is amazing!

1 Like

Vanessa! Thank you! Appreciate the kind words!

1 Like