Least Sandpiper

This is either a leased (rented) sandpiper or a spotted sandpiper I think. It flew by so fast that I only had 1/2500 of a second to check it out. It was quite close, probably 20 feet from the camera and flying very fast. I wish it was a little bit sharper. Taken around 4 PM PST.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-400, 400 mm plus 2X extender, F5 .6, 2500th, handheld, A7r4, a lot of luck to catch this one.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David, Congrats on catching such a fast, little bird. Very tough to do. Sharpness looks okay to me and I like the lighting and eye contact. Only nit for me is I wish the wing position wasn’t so flat. Nice catch.

Great job in catching a sandpiper in flight with such nice detail. Not sure about the ID. It looks to have a fairly prominent eye ring, more so than what shows on my bird apps for a least or spotted. Merlin ID’ed this as a Solitary Sandpiper, but that would be unusual in Washington.

Pretty fast, these guys, you caught in at a great pose and nice angle! Well done, Hans
ps I would put my money on Spotted SP.

Yup I think it’s a Spotty!
Yes, spotted sandpipers, semi palmated sandpipers least sandpiper are the ones I see primarily.

Hi David
Vary nice action, the detail, color and eye contact are vary nice. Most of the time, these bird are past me before I get my camera up for a shot. Nice work.
Peter