Let There Be Light

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G @ 210mm
ISO 400, 1/160 @ f8
Hidden Lake Overlook, Glacier NP
On the last day of our Canada-Montana trip in 2016 we hiked up to the Hidden Lake overlook from Logan Pass. It was windy and early winter cold. Conditions were mostly cloudy but for several minutes there were breaks in the clouds spotlighting the hills to the west. Chrissy had retreated to the visitor center but I stayed for the light show. It was fun exploring with my long lens and also showing passersby what I was shooting. That is another distant ridge line on the top and not the sky. I couldn’t tease any more detail out of it but chose not to crop it away. Your thoughts always appreciated. >=))>

Bill, when I saw the WC listed as “Layers” this type of scene was my first & immediate thought. Basically a scene with at least a few hills in sequence or tiers if you will. So, this one fits that immediate thought perfectly. However, what I did not envision was the diagonal layer breaking that thought with a very different and better perspective in the end. And yes, the stream of sunlight adds yet another dimension here too…I’m sure you’re glad you took the time to be there…:+1:

Bill, the bits of spotlighting are a special addition. I’m also impressed with how the burned area in the mid-ground looks good. The diagonal and clarity of the first ridge is very nice. I’m not sure what else might be up there, but do find myself wanting to see the top of the at the upper left. My one visit to this area had this view moderately obscured by smoke from a major fire to the south and east.

I love all the successive layers and the lighting is wonderful, Bill. I do find myself wishing for more room on the top, but I’d hate to sacrifice any off the bottom either.

Very nice layer shot. I agree about more sky to accentuate another layer.

Bill,

Layers of light and land; and even contrast. I think I remember this, or at least others in a series. Beautiful.

As far as the sky up top. I’d say either more, or none. I think rather than cropping out (you’d lose some important light up top), that perhaps some creative cloning. More sky might be nice, but from what we can see, might not add much to the scene. In the end, this is presented quite nicely as is.

Lon