Lichens on the Garden Gate

What technical feedback would you like if any? I sprayed the scene with some water which increased the saturation and contrast in the scene. Did it work?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I place the big lichen off center. Does this comp work for you?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200mm f4 micro + Close-up No 5T, Levels, DeHaze, DeNoise AI, Brightness & Contrast, and slight crop for comp. Our garden gate is aging gracefully and are now adorned with about 5 different lichen species. Having a flat field to shoot macro enabled me to get away from stacking images. I also ran the image through Silver Efex Pro2 and like the BW treatment. Enjoy…Jim

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

The black and white image seems to be my favorite over the two…Jim

Great photo Jim. I see why you like the BW one, the contrast is very good and I seem to focus more in the find details of the photo. The color has great color contrast, I feel the yellow really helped here. I have heard great things about the 200 and this photo image proves it

1 Like

Jim, I was out in the yard yesterday and was noticing the lichens on our blooming pear tree, and thought that would make for a really nice macro opportunity. You beat me to it. Very nice. I think the spraying water on it probably did help boost the saturation and contrast. I don’t think I would have thought of that yesterday. Both images are really good, and I do like the tones in your B&W version, but the color one is very nice too. Be hard to decide which one to choose.

1 Like

Jim: Count me firmly on the color side. I think it brings out the disparate textures and details better. I readily confess to being B&W challenged but I would like to see more contrast, especially on the white end of the histogram. I think this is a great subject and a fine comp. >=))>

1 Like

Hi Jim -

I love the color version! This is a beautiful portrait of these lichens. I think the composition works quite well and the subject itself is fascinating. On my monitor, it looks like it has a bit of a yellow cast so you could experiment with an ever-so-slightly cooler color balance. I wish this photo was in my own portfolio.

The black and white rendition doesn’t work as well for me because the main lichen fades into the other lichens and loses a lot of its visual prominence. I think the main rosette-shaped lichen could stand out more, possibly by being lightened and then darkening the background.

1 Like

Jim, I think the color version stands out. The variety of subtle blues and greens along with the sprinkling of tiny yellow bits are very enjoyable. Your comp works fine with attention focused on the big greenish bit but lots of goodies on the side to explore.

1 Like

Hi Jim!
I like the color version Its a beautiful image! I think in the B&W you miss some details, which the picture has a lot. For example, I like the lichen that is growing from below the big one, on the right and it looks much less noticeable to me in the B&W.

1 Like