Lily is Late to the Ball

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at the Huntington Gardens in Southern California. It was an overcast day, and the water lilies had such nice colors.

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure about the composition of this one. I really liked the lily pads below the three open blossoms and I felt the lone unopened blossom provided some added interest. Hope this works. Thanks for looking and for any comments you would like to share.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f16, 1/30s, 100-400 lens at 300 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Another great shot of flowers. The bud offsets the open flowers. It makes the comp. to me. When she opens, she will be the BELL of the Ball. Thanks

The composition works for me, Ed. For reference, most flower photographers I know pray for overcast days.

A lovely color combination.

Ed, this is lovely. The light is excellent to render beautiful colours.
Great as posted, but one small step to your left might have gotten the newest bud’s stem away from the edges of the right lily. Seems just a little tight in the frame on all sides to me.

Overcast, yay! Great for colors and bringing out the contour in the leaves without being too harsh. It’s sometimes hard to manage a polarizer in these situations and it seems you did without one which was probably the right call. Leaves can start to look muddy and weird when I overdo it by mistake. I like the flowers themselves and the row, but feel this is a bit too snapshotty to stand out. Without being right in the water with them, water lilies can be tough to deal with. I like the lone bud. Oddly there were a lot of late buds on the wild lilies I see all summer.

Thank you @SkipsPics, @Dennis_Plank, @SandyR-B, and @Kris_Smith I appreciate your input on this one. Sorry to be so slow to respond on this.