Little Carp River - Porcupine Mountains, Michigan

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an image of a set of cascades and surrounding environment along the Little Carp River in the Porcupine Mountains (Michigan’s largest State Park). This image was created on a fall morning in 2023. What I like about this image is the set of cascades, the bedrock of the river, and the old-growth woodland can all be viewed. To me, this image encapsulates the best features of the Little Carp area of the Porcupine Mountains.

Specific Feedback

General feedback is appreciated. I am most interested in the color balance of the image, and the overall balance of the composition.

Technical Details

When editing this, I lightened up the rocks and foliage (above the rocks) significantly and darkened the trees in the background to try to create some separation/depth in the scene.

Nice little scene, Josh. I can see why you were attracted to it. My only small suggestions is I don’t think I would have dodged the mid ground rocks quite as much

What a great little cascade. I can see why you were drawn to it. My impression of the bat is that the scene is blocked and has very little through line or flow. The brightest section is the water so we naturally look there first, but from that I don’t have a destination. There is no natural transition from here to there or from the immediacy of the water to the eventuality of the forest. My eyes do flick up to the bright branch hanging down, but it doesn’t look as if you deliberately included that in the frame.

Was there a view that would allow us to look up the stream at all? That could be effective in concentrating and orchestrating our trip through the scene. As it is it feels a bit awkward and accidental although it clearly wasn’t. If you have more views, especially concentrating on water and rocks, those would be interesting to see. Woodland work is pretty difficult so don’t give up!

Thanks Micheal! I totally agree. The image was looking too dark at first so I brightened the rocks considerably. Re-analyzing the image the rocks do detract from the cascades, which should be the brightest area of the image.

Thanks for the input Kristen! I am doing two repeat visits this year to the park and will look for that upstream view which will help to add depth/direction to the scene.

Hey Josh,
I see why you were drawn to photograph this scene. You are correct, it shows everything that You want it to show in regard to the river and the Porcupine mountains so I see your intent.
The area looks like it has a lot of potential for sure. Now, for me, it seems like two distinctly separate scenes that are not connected. The lower portion of the image has the river flowing right to left and out of the scene taking the viewers eye out of the picture. The upper portion of the scene doesn’t seem to have any connection to the lower portion of the scene and there are no visual lines connecting the two together. I think perhaps if you darkened those rocks in the mid ground they would be more connected to the foreground rocks and maybe have some potential to draw the eye up to the trees but I still think that this scene might be better served as two distinct scenes rather than connected.
I see some potential for some smaller scenes in that beautiful waterfall and I love the long exposure you used to get the water dreamy. There are also some really nice colorful leaves contrasting on those dark rocks. I hope you don’t mind but I did a quick crop showcasing just the waterfall and although it’s still not ideal, (the water is still exiting the scene out the side of the frame) I think it emphasises the potential that this little waterfall holds.

You could even crop in tighter and eliminate most of the water exiting the left side of the image.

I know this isn’t what you wanted when you shot the scene but hopefully this was helpful. Would love to see more of your work as well. Keep posting.

1 Like

Hi Josh,
This looks like a great location for photography; I can see why it would attract you as this is a lovely cascade. My thoughts pretty much mirror those of @David_Haynes as my first inclination was a crop resembling his first suggestion. I hope your two repeat visits are productive for you. I have found; at least for myself; that the more familiar you become with an area the more your mind opens up to other compositions. I checked out your website and you have some wonderful images on it.

Appreciate the feedback @David_Haynes. I actually have a composition of a closer look at the cascades that was taken before the larger scene that was initially shared. I attached that image below. Interesting to see you had a similar idea once seeing the image! I agree that this scene surely has more elements to add and subtract within to create a better overall focus. @Ed_Lowe This is by far the best location for photography in Michigan! But I am pretty biased as I visit about two times a year. I am looking forward to more visits in 2024 to refine and seek out new images. Thanks for taking a look at my site and the kind words!

1 Like