Long Tailed Manakin

Steve Kennedy recently posted some images of the dance of the Capped Wheatear taken on his trip to South Africa. Here is another bird from Central America which has a similar mating dance. In order to best appreciate this mating dance, here is a link to a YouTube video shot by one of the participants from our trip, Rich Vial: https://youtu.be/fkpC45h8ua0

This 30 second video appears to be an unending loop. It is well worth looking at. With regards to the still photo which I took, it was in very dark conditions and was taken with fill flash. As much as I would like to brighten things up, the image begins to look flashed if there is too much exposure increase. The video however is the real star of this behavioral presentation.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Iso-1000, 500 mm, F9, 800th, fill flash at -3, tripod, 80% of full frame
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is an excellent still from the display sequence, David, but you’re right about the video. This is a very cool display.

Your Manakin’s dance is much more intricate than my Capped Wheatear’s. I wish I had the video to go with mine too. This is a very nice photo in its own right David, and thanks for mentioning my post.

Excellent capture considering how active they were in the video. You caught the action nicely. Good job with the flash.