Long-tailed Silky Flycatcher Preening & Repost

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Their was a pair of this species with a nest in front of one of the cabins at the Paraiso Quetzal Lodge. The female spent most of her time on the nest and I have a ton of shots of her sitting on it, but they’re not too impressive. We had a good session with this guy on the 17th while he was preening and this image is from that shoot.

Specific Feedback

I did some cloning on both sides of the bottom to get rid of stray our of focus twigs-do you see any anomalies?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/200, iso 2000, manual exposure. DxO PureRaw 4, LR & PS CC. Cropped to 2712x3744. Taken February 17th @ 7:18 a.m.

4 Likes

Terrific image Dennis. A fine pose with wonderful yet subtle colors throughout. Interesting perch too. It’s very minor but I’m seeing a couple of faint streaks on the lower left of the image - I guess due to the cloning you mention. Looking forward to seeing more shots from your trip.

I’m enjoying these great shots from your trip. Another beautiful bird with excellent detail. On a more technical note: how do you get that blue inner frame that looks totally symmetrical around the image? Eyeballing it or something in PS that allows you to get exact measurements?

Although I love your hummingbird photos, I like this one even more. The colors, pose and background are just right. Now that Allen has mentioned the two “faint streaks”, I see them, too.

Hi Allen:

It’s not exact, but I kind of cheat. The TK panel has a “Stroke” feature that will make a line of your choice of width color and opacity. By default it is at the edge of the image. However, if you have a selection made, it follows the outlines of the selection. Using the rectangular Marquee tool, I make a selection using the width of the cross-hairs as my offset from the edge, then apply the Marquee tool. Thickness of the line can easily be adjusted, but undoing and changing the width if you don’t like it the first time.

I know there are other methods. I think David Kingham offered a download of a PS action for doing that and a bunch of other edge things a while back, but if you have the TK panel, this is quick and easy.

What a beauty, Dennis lovely blues and light, The background is very complimentary. The subject as always in nice crisp focus .

@Allen_Sparks and @Jim_Gavin Thanks for catching the cloning artifact. Hopefully it’s OK now.

1 Like

Thanks, Dennis. I figured it involved “Stroke”, but I had difficulty making a totally uniform rectangle, but your method is great. Thanks for the tip! And, it works without the TK panel.

Looks great!