Longing for februari colors

I have worked a long time (of and on) on this image to get it right to my feeling.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is more then welcome

Technical Details

2 Likes

Hey Ben. Really cool image. However I’m not the most savvy to Woodland photography, but I do really enjoy this composition. What’s great about it as you get the atmospheric fog which creates separation in the trees and depth to the photograph. What I’m missing is the detail on the very front tree that could even create more separation and more detail in the main subject of the image. But overall I love this photo!

Well, my first question is what is your feeling for this?

The colors are really interesting - all those reddish branches and leaves in the fog are very cool. The atmosphere is sort of mysterious, but not too much, I think because of the warm light in the background. I agree with David J. that the front tree trunk (not the roots) lacks detail. Maybe you raised the shadows a lot?

That main tree on the left is a very interesting subject. So different than all of the background trees. I love the red carpet of leaves mixed with the vibrant green moss on the roots and I really like all of the background tree limbs that are either bare or mostly bare. The branches poking out beyond the main tree balance the image beautifully and I love the blue fog on the left side of the image. The amount of foreground beneath the main tree is perfect and well composed. I agree with @David_Johnston and @Bonnie_Lampley about the lack of detail in the main tree. Not sure where the focus point was on this image but the trunk lacks detail and is possibly too bright compared to all of the other trunks. What’s so interesting about the main tree is not the trunk but the roots so darkening the tree trunk might help. That is my only nit and a minor one as this is a tremendously beautiful image Ben. I would go back to this tree and work those roots. Looks like a lot of possibilities in there.

Hi Ben, I think this has an overall soft, peaceful feeling to it. An early morning walk in the woods.

I agree with the others that the foreground tree could be sharpened or detail added. I also like those interesting roots too. Nice work all around.

I like the overall mood, as others have mentioned there is something a little bit off with the texture of the large tree. I especially like the highlights in the sky (the golden color, without being blown out)

Excellent work, Ben. The entire image has a mysterious magenta and cool mood to it. But then the saturated green moss pulls you out of the reverie and says look at me. Just love it. The tree looks pretty good to me. The entire image is fairly vague and soft so the lack of sharp detail in the tree isn’t an issue for me.

I’m a sucker for woodland image so I’m immediately drawn in.
I feel like it might have a red color cast going on but I have no idea since I have not seen the RAW file. There also feels like something is going on with that front tree, like the bark is lacking detail or has been washed out somehow. Just some observations on my end!

@andronik , @David_Bostock , @Igor_Doncov , @Bonnie_Lampley , @David_Haynes , @David_Johnston , @Matt_Payne . It seems not to be one of my better images. But for me the feel is there when looking at the whole image. About how this Foggy morning was coming to my eyes.
There will always be a discussion about sharpness. For me personally in this image not that important. BTW the whole image is in the fog also the front tree bark except the trunks and the ground in front.
Thank you all so much for your comments.
For Matt I include the raw file .

3 Likes

You did good, Ben. It is one of your better images.

1 Like

Cheers - there’s a lot of awesome mood here to play with… the dark tree in the front is super dominating in a good way, IMO… thx for sharing the RAW!

It’s helpful to see the RAW as well as the edit. Thanks for sharing! Fog hits different. You’ve got a great eye! Keep shooting!

1 Like

Ben,

This one is just oozing with mood and atmosphere! I think you’ve developed that mood wonderfully; I really like the colors you’ve brought out while still retaining that foggy atmosphere.

I would agree that sharp detail is not necessary here, but will agree with most that the front tree looks somehow a bit like the shadows were brought up too much - and seeing the RAW, that makes sense. Again, sharp detail isn’t necessary, but that main tree is a bit off. Other than that, it’s a wonderful image with your style all over it!

Lon

Beautiful light and colour! I also love the overall mood so I think you did a really wonderful job with this.

Thank you,Lon for your remarks. I can work with it !

Thank you,Tom for your comment on my image.