Looking Glass

As I was leaving my most recent photo journey, I noticed this patch of very slow moving water with LOTS of leaves in it. I tried to make some images of them but I’m not sure any of them came out. But, from atop the bridge I was able to make this image looking down into the water at the reflection of a tree above. I’m not 100% convinced it “works” but I thought it was fun enough to play with and post here.

Specific Feedback Requested

Open to any and all thoughts, curious if it visually works for others.

Technical Details

1 Like

It’s definitely a fun play, David. Feels like a watercolor instead of a photo. Very cool.

David,

Great catch! Now at first, the thumbnail just looks like your standard, “point the camera up in to a tree canopy…” and not really that abstract. However, after reading your description combined with the larger view, I got it and see it now.

And maybe to my original reaction, I think the full vertical frame, even though it’s a reflection (and abstract painting impression for sure,) there still is a dose of reality to this. My thinking to remove some first impression reality might be to crop. It seems I’m obsessed with square crops these days, but I think by removing the tall vertical impression, this becomes much more abstract - that what was my first impression with the thumbnail. Hope that makes some sense.

Lon

I wouldn’t have realized it was a reflection from the thumbnail, but the larger view is fascinating! Great seeing!!

Hi David, this is one intriguing image that surprises the viewer after close examination. That to me makes it a successful and impactful image. I do recommend some refinement in the overall framing. I see some issues with the overall vertical composition and I believe the main distracting element is that dark branch in the upper right. It pulls my eye away from the bottom of the frame. Perhaps a square crop as Lon suggested would help. Overall, I love the surprise element and the subject.

Hi David. I think it works in just the fact I wasn’t sure how you done it at first. It doesn’t look like a ‘typical’ reflection. The colors are vibrant and it almost looks like you put some kind of distorting glass over the lens. Great image.