Lotus Bud

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

It’s sort of a wild garden – a preserve devoted to Asian flora, and there is a very small lotus pond in a beautiful little hidden dell. By the time the flowers open, midday, they are in full sun, but this bud was still in dappled shade from trees overhead. Canon 5D4, 100-400 + 1.4X at 368mm, ISO 100, 1/5 sec at f/16. Tripod. Minimal tonal adjustments in LR, the edge of a BG leaf removed on the left in PS. Frustratingly there is only one very small area to stand, limiting compositional possibilities, but it worked out well here.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Diane: I absolutely love this kind of lighting and result. The drops on the bud are icing on a very nice cake. Many kudos. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks Bill! I got a picture of the open flower two days later – I’ll post it soon.

Diane
Gorgeous. I like the fact that there is a slight shadow from the bud and the detail is marvelous.

Diane, I really love this image. I agree with what both Bill and Kathy said. I also like the way the back leaf seems to cradle around the bud, as if protecting it. Very nice.

Thanks everyone! It was a delight to find this!

Very nice composition and presentation. I like the subtle shadows and how they give depth to the image. The dew drops bring it to a new level.