Lowe River & Mountains - Spring 2022

Spring is my favorite season for shooting landscapes in Valdez. The mountains are covered with snow but the weather can be sunny and bright and the Lowe River is still flowing slow and clear. Later in the year the river will be roaring & muddy as the snow melt starts and the rains begin. This is a location by the side of the Richardson Highway that I drive by almost every day on the way from home to town and back. This photo was one of the times that it was so striking that I had to stop and take photos. It’s one of my favorite landscapes of the year.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6300, SEL1670Z @ 16 mm, ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/2000, hand held.

2 Likes

What a spectacular grand landscape. How fortunate you are to have Alaska’s grandeur in your daily life. I see six layers: The foreground mountain reflection; the still water between the reflection and the shelf of snow, the bare and dark trees; the mountains; and the sky. You have captured nature at its best. Wonderful image that is a lesson in composition.

Wow, I love the pristineness of the snow. Those mountains really got caked. The cooler white balance is really nice here too.

An amazing image. As already has been said, the layers add a lot to the image. I also like a lot how you have managed the colors of the snow and the sky.