Lunar Landing

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400GII @ 400mm
ISO 400, 1/80 @ f5.6
We live under the main approach path to Bush Intercontinental Airport in North Houston. While watching the full moon rise I noticed that the planes would have a short window where they would pass directly in front of the moon. My only mistake was in not boosting the ISO to give me some more SS and decrease the motion blur of the planes. When and if the alignment works out again I’ll be better prepared but I still liked the effect. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

This is pretty cool Bill! I like how the entire plane fits within the moon’s diameter. You times this perfectly. The blur is ok for me, but I understand you want it sharper, and that faster SS might also reveal a bit more of the moon’s surface by cutting down the exposure.
Here’s another thing that came to mind if the stars (moon) aligns and you want some extra fun…multiple exposure! 3 or 5 images tracking the plane across the moon. I wonder how that’d look?
Anyway, super cool and great eye to see this!

:thinking:Mark: Multiple exposure might be interesting. I shot this on high speed burst so that I would get at least one shot with the plane completely within the moon so I have several frames before and after. Thanks for the suggestion. :+1: :+1:

Pretty cool indeed. I like how you lined up the plane with the moon. It’s just about in the perfect location in the moon.

Great shot Bill. Really nicely done.

Excellent, Bill I lie the whimsical title as well.

Bill, what a great idea! This works very well as presented, but I can understand your wish for a sharper airplane. I’d say that your moon here is between 1 and 2 stops overexposed (if you want better detail in its surface), which buys you more ss.

Love it when a plan comes together, Bill! Good eye to see the opportunity and nice execution. I agree with Mark that if you had slightly underexposed the moon you would have had the shutter speed you needed and then you could have brightened it up later. That would give you a highly detailed moon to go along with the plane silhouette.