Mad River Slough

Snow is a rarity along the California north coast, and even fog is getting rarer. :worried: But on this day, we had some nice foggy conditions for a bit.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome. I increased contrast a bit in the foreground elements, but left most of the frame alone. I like the mood of this. [Edit - well, I did convert to b&w, then toned it, so I lied about leaving it alone.]

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

a7r3, 44mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 400, hand held.

1 Like

I really like this image Bonnie, well done! IMO the composition works very well and the water/dampness in the slough channels is almost mesmerizing. Not sure I would change anything.

1 Like

A world without snow is gray and sad. So I like the story in your image,Bonnie.

1 Like

Lovely image, Bonnie. I like the long leading tide flats with their interesting patterns and the fog shrouded trees. I hope the fog isnโ€™t getting rarer-Redwoods get a lot of their moisture from it.

1 Like

Nice moody image. I think I know the area.

1 Like

Bonnie, your big sweeping look at these tidal flats does a great job leading into the foggy distance. The overall tone sets a fine quiet, somewhat mysterious and somber mood.

1 Like

Bonnie: This brings back some good memories of the Oregon coast in winter. Some may find it dreary but I love the implied quiet and peacefulness and makes me long to get back to scenes like this. Very well composed and presented. >=))>

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments.

@Dennis_Plank, I do think the fog is getting rarer, eventually to the detriment of the redwoods. It is definitely not as foggy now as it was in the 70โ€™s, when I lived in Humboldt County.

@Igor_Doncov, this is on the landward side of the Ma-leโ€™l Dunes, southwest of Arcata.

Oh, ok. I thought this was just a bit north, Freshwater Lagoon, south of Orick. Iโ€™ve made a few images there with a similar mood.