Making friends

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

How would you caption or title this image? What does it communicate to you?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is one of multiple images of chipmunk behavior. In this one, they appear to be “kissing”–well, they are actually sniffing eachother as a mode of communication, often but not always related to amorous relations. I wanted to show them in their nature habitat in this image but I have others that more closely focus on the chipmunk heads.

Technical Details

Nikon Z8
Nikkor Z 100-400 at 400
1/125, f/14, ISO 800
no filters, handheld

Specific Feedback

I mainly photograph landscapes and don’t often shoot wildlife so any feedback you might want to provide could be helpful. Thank you.

2 Likes

Their so sweet DJ. Nice catch light in both squirrels’ eyes. Nice details. Maybe just one word “Touching” would be a suitable title?

I like that! Thanks.

DJ, you’ve caught a great, touching (pun intended…) moment here with these two chipmunks. It does look somewhat oversharpened on the two chipmunks and the rock they’re on. This is an excellent chipmunk behavior photo.

Thanks. I will go back and check me full size file re: sharpening. I appreciate the comment.