Male Anna's Hummingbird posing

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

He decided to pose for this one, we still had a little smoke in the air, hence the color cast.
I liked (and emphasised) the red cast in post, cutting luminocity and boosting sat for reds oranges and yellows.
What do you think?

F9.0 1/80 ISO1600 90D 150-600c @600
Crop aprox 1/12th of original to remove feeder

A nice pose but I’d consider a crop from the bottom up to about halfway to the red feathers, to eliminate some distracting areas. Dramatic light, but a little too dramatically boosted for my taste – just my preference. I’ve been shooting with smoke-filtered light too and it can be tricky. The magentas behind the eye are featureless, maybe due to over-saturation or over-exposure? There is also an unexpected texture on the BG. I wonder if some noise reduction before too much processing would be good. I find the recent versions of Topaz DeNoise AI to be amazing, just at the default settings. View results at 100%. Then after that step use PS for any extreme color or tonal adjustments.

Hi Geoff. Welcome to NPN. I largely agree with Diane, although your current crop is fine with me. My main critique is that the image quality isn’t too good. I’d imagine this is a very large crop, and the file just couldn’t hold up. The closer you get to the subject, the better and cleaner your detail will be.

Hi Geoff:

I think your crop is fine, although any crop of this magnitude is going to create some quality issues. The background is showing an incredible amount of color noise (not just luminance noise) as noted by all the colored speckles. I can’t say that I’m a fan of the large boost in color saturation, and I’m guessing that is also part of the cause of the accentuated color noise.

A very nice pose and I like the composition. The large crop as mentioned can present some issues. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Thank you all for your feedback, much appreciated