Male Indigo Bunting - Another Look

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Normally, I have a handful of these birds every summer, along with the females. This year, I have seen two males I know of for sure, but only one comes around regularly. And no females. It’s been a bust of a year for the neotropical migrants in my yard.

Specific Feedback

None

Technical Details

bunting

Canon RF 100-500mm, handheld, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping, Topaz DeNoise

1 Like

Very good, Terry. One of you best in my opinion. I love the little head turn and you caught him on a very nice perch with light that really brings out that blue.

1 Like

He is a beautiful bird, and you did such a nice job capturing this image, Terry.

Gorgeous image, Terry! :slight_smile:

The look is priceless, it’s as though it’s looking at you while thinking: “What is that thing with one HUGE EYE”? :smiley:

Anyway, it really is a gorgeous image!

Terry, I am really drawn to your beautiful photo. The position of the bird is priceless. The tilt of the head reveals one eye in the front-on pose. I think it makes the picture. Your depth of field is spot on. The simplicity of the background further accentuates the beautiful blue feathers. I feel the branches are detracting from the bird. A tighter crop would help eliminate some of the distractions. Darkening the wood would also help deemphasize it. Finishing off with a gentle vignette would also help keep the eye on the bird. Terry, this is a wonderful picture. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank @Shirley_Freeman @Merv @Barbara_Djordjevic. They are certainly beautiful birds and I agree he gave me a really nice pose. Thanks for the suggestions @Barbara_Djordjevic. I’ll play with it a little bit.

1 Like

Really nice job on the color and composition. You got a nice head turn.

1 Like

Very nice Terry, great pose with that head turn and that stunning blue. Great BG too to set him off. I like this composition but I’m wondering about a crop on the right that eliminates the trunk all together. Either way a fine image.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks. I tried a crop removing the trunk, but it just didn’t look right to me. But it was worth a try.

1 Like

Terry–you did very well with this capture. Good pose, great color, and ideal soft BG. I got no nits for you. Well done…Jim

1 Like