Mane Man

A black maned male lion is patrolling his territory on a windy day.

Specific Feedback Requested

I was hoping that the photo mood, composition etc shows that this male lion is the king of his territory and he patrols it with confidence and intent. When I view the photo close up I am not sure that it has much impact, but when I view it from a few meters away I feel the light and colour has some drama in it. Any thoughts?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D850
120-300 lens
f7.1
ISO 800
1/3200 seconds

As it was very windy my lens was shaking and I felt like I had to bump up the shutter speed to get a sharp shot.

1 Like

A very unique composition that I think does convey your description. Larger is certainly better.

The sky looks odd to me. The darkened edge at the top doesn’t feel natural. I’m assuming a linear grad in LR (or something like that ) was applied to darken that top edge.

Hi Keith

I did apply a gradient and now that you pointed it out I see colour banding in it. I will have to re-think that. Thanks for the feedback!

His confident stride and posture say to me: “I’m in charge here; don’t mess with me.” Other than the sky issue as commented on by Keith, great photo.

Hi Alan! This is a very cool photo. I agree the sky needs a second look but otherwise it looks great! To me you have definitely shown the sense of confidence and intent. It looks like this bad boy is keeping his eye on the potential prey in the background (wildebeests?) and waiting for an opportunity to strike. Well done!

Great composition and such a stare! Is this in Zimbabwe?

Hi Mike, this is in Savuti in Botswana. When we got there about 80 percent of the marsh grass was burnt and still burning. This big boy is one of 2 dominant males of the Marsh Pride.

1 Like

Pano presentation works well!
The sky, as pointed needs to be corrected.

I like the extreme comp here. You also got some nice textures in there… the lion’s fur and mane really pop against the background.

I echo the sentiments about the sky. The treatment is a bit extreme, IMO, and detracts from the rest of the image.