Marshall Eagle

Specific Feedback Requested

Please correct me if I’m wrong in identifying this eagle. It was photographed in Masaimara.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D; 500 mm lens; ISO 400; F 7.1 at 1/500 sec.

jagdeeprajputphotographie
1 Like

Wow another beauty, @JRajput - and I have to say that I would bet dollars to donuts this eagle makes its living with fish. Look at that talon! At first glance the markings are very like the North American Osprey, but from my quick google search, these eagles’ heads get darker into adulthood. The opposite of our Bald Eagles. That little flip of head feather is so cute. It adds a bit of whimsey which is so absent in many shots featuring raptors. They’re always so serious and intent looking. My google search also changes the spelling to Martial which is pronounced the same in English, but refers to the military and armed forces. I wonder why it was named the Martial eagle. Probably the Brits. More googling.

1 Like

A very majestic bird, @JRajput, and you captured it beautifully.

1 Like

Beautiful bird with an elegant pose. For me, the face has a feminine look about it. Nice setting and background. Always fun to see a new bird.

1 Like

I would say it’s likely a juvenile Martial Eagle. They’re much lighter at a young age, but you start to see the telltale spotting that comes in on the legs and belly. This one is very light, younger than any of the immature Martials I’ve seen, but that’s likely a correct ID. The massive talons are probably another clue. This species will take out small antelope given the chance.

It’s a nice pose, especially with the view of that foot.

1 Like

What a beautiful bird, and one I have never seen before. I agree with Allen. The bird seems to have a feminine look, especially around the eyes.

The limited palette of colours really adds to the appeal.

1 Like

Actually, my first thought was a Harpy (a creature in Greek mythology that is part woman and part bird) from the Golden Compass Trilogy.

1 Like

Never seen such a bird of prey as this, but it sure is a slick looking raptor with very intent eyes.

1 Like

Very nice pose you captured with that head on look. I like the profile view of the body as well. Pleasing background. well done.

1 Like

Excellent shot of this eagle, Jagdeep! Clarity, color and exposure are excellent as usual for you and the pose is nice also, showing the big claws while looking right at you. I’ve certainly never seen this eagle but it looks like a cross between a bald eagle and an osprey! A beautiful bird for sure!

1 Like