Me and Dash

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is my little buddy Dash. He likes to hang around the coleus and coreopsis corner of our garden and yesterday morning he was really hamming it up. He finally perched on a coleus flower after spending most of the morning hanging out on dead coreopsis buds. He was kind enough to allow me to use the tripod but there was a little bit of a breeze so we had to take a lot of shots. He was a very patient model and posed for over 350 shots. These were the best of the bunch. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback

The first image is my favorite perch and pose but which do you prefer?

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 f2.8 OSS GM-II + 2xTC and 16mm XT
ISO 1600, f11 on shot 1, f16 on the last two

1 Like

I agree with your choise Bill. Nice to look at your splemdid photos again. I wont and hope to be back with landscape images.

Hi Bill,
I agree that the first perch is the nicest, with the nicest pose. Your friend was certainly cooperative. They rarely sit still for me. I also like the contrast between the DF colors and the perch.
Larry

Bill, I’m so glad that you were able to get out and photograph Dash while he was in the posing mood! I too like the first one, with the curve of the flower he is on. They are all good though, with wonderful details.

Very cool!! The first is classic (and classy), but the other two are unique and very interesting! Don’t make me choose a favorite! I’m greedy and I’ll take all three.

Really nice work here on all three images really but the first is a notch or two above the rest in my book. I like the pose best and the background is much better (more even and less distracting). The red ehhh… flower part is also a much better and more interesting perch than the two others. I also love how the light plays/glitters on oof parts on the wings - pure gold. Focus is also spot on with all of the important bits razor sharp.

Not sure if I have any proper suggestions for improvements but you might want to play with the red saturation a bit. I feel the perch might be snagging a bit too much attention from the dragonfly, but other than that call me envious :slight_smile:

Hi Bill, I really like them all. It is unusual for these guys to land on a colorful perch so that’s really nice in the first image. I think the third shot is my favorite. I love seeing the eyes so well (even compound elements), the top of the thorax with the wing structure attachments, and the abdomen with the interest top patterns. I believe this is a female Blue Dasher - a real beauty. Nicely done!

Bill, all three shots are excellent. #1 has the extra color, but my favorite is #2 because it is showing off the “obelisk” pose (used to keep somewhat cool, by shading the thorax with the abdomen). #2 also shows how this female (agree with Allen) blends in as she tries not to attract attention. The eyes in #3 are amazing.

Hi Bill,

All three are good, but I like the contrasty view of the middle image. the best. The first one is my second fave and the curly perch puts it over #3. Well done…Jim