More backlit Mist

General feedback on this image.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Backlit images can be tough to expose correctly but you did a good job here - nothing is blown out or without detail. So, technically, nice job.

However, I’m a bit unsettled by the composition. I’m not sure what the intended subject is and my eye never really settles on anything. That spray seems like it should be the subject but it is disproportionately small in the frame. With such a unique capture it seems like that spray should be emphasized.

Was that your intention or did I miss the mark?

I’m kind of with @Matt_Lancaster on this one, it doesn’t tell as clear a story as your previous post. I’m not sure what the white spray is, and it seems out of context or place with the rest of the scene, so it leaves me a bit confused as to what I am looking at. I like the nice backlight and colors here, but prefer the prior post where I think the people walking on the path tell a clearer story.

Larry,

Unfortuneately I’ll have to concur with the comments so far. What’s amazing is that this is nearly the same comp, certainly the same area and vantage point as your previous post - but the impact is like 180deg different.

With no info/back story, I too am struggling to understand where the spray is coming from; it just seems out of place. There’s also very little evidence that this is a coastal scene. Contrast this with such a wonderful, story-telling image with mood and atmosphere… in your previous post.

I’m pretty sure this is one of those images that for the photographer was an amazing experience being there and then to capture the moment of the spray. I suspect though without that personal connection it’s difficult for us the viewers to get that.

Lon