Morning Breakfast

Finally cooled down in AZ so I went out this morning and came across some bees. They were flying slowly so I got this one in flight. I used my 90D and the 100-400 ii at 370mm 1/250 f/13 ISO 1000 soft flash. I cropped 1x1 on this as it seem best. I darken that background a little to bring out the bee

Lovely image Dean, I like the straightforward half and half, plant/bee composition and the muted background puling it all together

Dean, this is a very difficult shot to pull off. I love the composition, as Ryan has mentioned. I think the square crop works well. I am fine with the wing motion as well. When I pull it up into the largest size on here, the eye doesn’t look as sharp, so maybe that is just because of the size you submitted. It sure looks fine in the smaller versions. Glad the weather cooled down enough for you to get out and shoot. We have been hearing of the hot weather out there.

Thanks Ryan and Shirley. I almost toss the photo because the shutter was a little slower than I wanted. But she stayed still enough to do something with it. I did use Topaz denoise for the background only. Then use a high pass on only the other part of the bee to sharpen the fur it you want to call it that, There was also a bright area that was right above her that I had to tame down. I think if the shutter was faster or DOF more wider that might have helped too. But the Composition is what I liked.

I sat the camera on a tripod and Gimbal and just waited for a bee to get in that position. A few landed but this photo was what I was after. My batteries were dead in the remote shutter so I had to push the shutter on the camera which I did not want to do. Got to remember to stock extra batteries.

1 Like

Dean: Really good capture and I like that you’re experimenting and improving. Your recent work keeps getting better and better. Nicely done. >=))>

1 Like

Hi Dean, I like the composition in this image with the bee approaching the flower. Colors look nice. As mentioned, the bee is soft probably due to slow shutter speed. You may try a wider aperture and faster shutter in these lower light conditions.

Dean, this looks very good with your square crop and the placement of the bee and flowers. The larger view does look just a hair soft, which as I look seems like the focus might have been just a bit off. The stem and buds at the back of the flower look sharp while the blooms are soft.

Thanks guys. At 370mm even f/13 may have been ok, but the shutter speed was a issue. I worry about the high ISO because it effects the shadows more so and the darker parts of the bee is always a concern. But this spot has a lot of bees now so it allows me to try again