Morning Flight - Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at the Sacramento NWR. The birds seemed to be very skittish that morning and kept jumping when we drove up and slowed to try to get a few photos out the window.

Specific Feedback

I cloned out half a bird in the front of the first duck. Selected all of the birds from the BG and processed the birds separate from the BG. I liked the sense of an explosion of birds in this one and the early morning light. I hope it is not too busy with ducks, and hope that the ducks that are not in full focus aren’t too distracting.

Technical Details

Canon 7DMii, f8, 1/1600 sec, iso 1600, 100-400/1.4TC at 560 mm.

1 Like

I think this does convey the sense of an explosion of ducks, Ed. While it would have been nice to get more ducks in focus it’s not usually very practical to do so unless you’re close enough to use a wide angle lens. It might just be the morning light, but the birds feel a bit too saturated to me. But the morning light there can be incredibly warm. I remember photographing a hawk there 4 years ago and I never could get the light tamed down enough to make it presentable.

Hi Ed, I like seeing this grouping of ducks taking flight. Explosion captured. Having more in focus would be nice but maybe not too realistic as Dennis states. I like the early morning light. Seems like it wouldn’t be too tough to take the saturation down a little to cool things a bit if you wished. Interesting image.

@Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks Not sure if it was enough, but I backed the saturation down -15. It is a bit less bright now.

1 Like

I like it. I Think you went far enough.

1 Like

Cool shot. While all birds are not as sharp as they might be, they stand out well against a nice background and the eye is drawn to the shovelers which are farily sharp. Great morning light-an example of how the right light can add a lot to an image. I think you nicely captured the sense of ducks suddenly taking off. Well done.

@Allen_Brooks thank you. Still trying to figure out the sharp thing. Not sure it’s possible with a big group like that.