Morning light + re-post

I love the first morning light, when I saw the sun highlighting this succulent, I just had to see if I could “capture” the moment.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I did crop it to a square format, also did some minor sharpening in LR and used luminosity masks to dodge and burn just a few areas.
Any and all comments, suggestions are encouraged and welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Do you get the sense of the first morning light? Any other comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/18, 1/30 sec., 100mm, iso 100

Thank you.

I do believe you captured the moment, Linda. Easy to sense the first morning light hitting the edges of the succulent. I like the square format used for this. I like this a lot.

Thanks Shirley. I appreciate your thoughts.

1 Like

The light is lovely, especially the warm light coming through the leaf contrasted against the green background. One thing that catches my eye is the bright area at the middle top. A spot that bright at the frame edge, when the rest of the frame is rather dark, takes my eye out of the frame. You probably could burn that down (and then desaturate it, also, because burning will increase the saturation), to make it less prominent. Or you could crop more, if that isn’t going too far for you.

Linda, this works beautifully at showing this edge glowing in the morning light. I like the bits of glow above the main section and at the very top. These say to me that there’s more out there to enjoy. The zig-zag leaf edge creates a nice visual flow.

I just love NPN, and the amazing feed back i get from everyone. I so enjoy that two or three or even a dozen people can look at one photo and interpret it differently. All valid, but from the eye of the beholder and their individual perspective on the image. So, to @Shirley_Freeman, @Mark_Seaver and @Bonnie_Lampley thank you very much for your thoughts and perspective on how you see this photo. Perhaps I could have explained my thoughts about the image a little better when I posted it. I was definitely going for a more abstract feeling. Concentrating on the shapes, textures, colors and feeling of the morning glow. And yes, Bonnie, I did burn down the upper middle portion of the photo, but left it that way because, at least for me, I do like how the lighting pulls me through. Thanks again for you comments.

1 Like

Linda: My thoughts align with Bonnie on this one. With a scroll crop I do like it better with the upper bright spot gone but this works as is. Well seen and nicely captured. >=))>

Thanks Bill. I did go back and did a quick crop . . … . posted here for comparison. . . . definitely gives the whole image a different feel. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Linda, this does enhance the drama.

@Mark_Seaver, I agree. Great feed back here.

I like the re-post better. Lovely morning glow just shining on the edge and the zig-zag pattern makes this image. Very nice composition.

Thanks @ravi, I appreciate your kind words.

Linda: :+1: :+1: on the repost. Nicely done. >=))>

Thanks @Bill_Fach, all of this feedback totally confirms my thoughts about seeing images from various perspectives. Good stuff :+1:

Hi Linda, I am late to the party, but this caught my eye. I enjoy the rework, but treated it only slightly differently, darkening the top center, and trying to dodge highlights of the left spider web, which totally enchanted me. By cropping, the out-of-focus top that is the web’s destination is no longer a distraction.
Cool stuff. Thanks for seeing and sharing.

Thanks @Dick_Knudson for taking the time to do a re-work. And appreciate your thoughts, perspective and comments.