Morning Silhouette

Woke up early today. I got into position near the edge of the pond in the dark before sunrise hoping to photograph some waterfowl and possibly a pair of sandhill cranes that I had spotted the day before. Not much luck with the waterfowl and the cranes did not come close enough. So I started to play with silhouettes of the the calling red-winged black birds

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome. I like this first image the most but was also intrigued by a two others. The last one I liked the composition but missing the bird’s beak and distraction behind the head. Also included one non-silhouette that I liked.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f/8, 1/640, iso-500 to 1000 range. 600mm on full frame partially cropped.

Nice shots of the red winged black bird. Personally, I like the non-silhouette version. I like the composition, the fanned bird tail and how the grasses and bird are catching the early morning sun light.

2 Likes

Wonderful series, Bryan. I like them all for different reasons. The first image for the beautiful soft morning glow, the second for the way the bird seems to be calling to a mate?, the third simply for the wonderful silhouette and the fourth for the colors you can see and the look in his eyes. Like maybe he is looking for breakfast! Nicely done.

1 Like

The one calling is really tremendous. The spread wing and open beak - I can just hear it. The others are nice, too, but that one speaks volumes (ahem, see what I did there?) about life as a RWBB.

Very nice series. Not only do the images show some great behavior, especially the calling image, but the fact that you included the environment helps tell the story.

1 Like

I like the first two in particular, Bryan. The pose in the second is superb, but I do think it would benefit from a different composition where it’s not so centered.

1 Like

A great set of back-light images. I do love the 2nd one best. Main issue with #1 and #4 for me are the reeds between you and the bird. That said, I do like the overall atmosphere in the series and, as Keith points out, the habitat shown! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

I like the light in the first one and the calling pose in the second. I’d be tempted to clone out the grass sticking above its head in the third shot. Of the four, the last one gives me the most sense of being out in the cool, crisp morning with the sun starting to shine. Very nice collection.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I had a look and tried a different crop with your suggestion. I will need to spend some more time on these images.

Thanks for positive feedback @Kris_Smith , @Dennis_Plank , @Allen_Brooks, @Keith_Bauer , @linda_mellor , @Hans_Overduin .
I’m learning to keep my mind open and avoid having to many expectations in the field. There is usually something to photograph as long as you keep an open mind. I was a bit bummed that the sandhill cranes went out of view before the sun was up. We don’t get large numbers near my city. Here is a high iso cropped image of the cranes. I’m much happier with the RWB photos.

2 Likes

HI Bryan
All the shots are interesting, but the last one is my favorite.
Peter