Mt. Drum Glow

I was driving from Anchorage to Valdez and my departure time was determined by my last errand in town. It’s a 300 mile drive and by pure coincidence I just happened to arrive at Willow Lake (a little over 200 miles) just in time to catch the sunset alpen glow on the Wrangell mountains. This is a zoomed in shot to show the gorgeous pink light on Mt. Drum.

Sony a6300, FE100400GSM @ 168mm, ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/50, hand held.

In response to Bill Fach’s suggestion, I’m posting a version of this that I had cropped to fit a 4k format. I agree that it’s better balanced with less sky.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

garyminish

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Gary, the gently warm light is great. The mountain stands out very well. I also like the thin strip of trees along the bottom both for the atmosphere that they create and for the size perspective. This is a beauty.

Beautiful light and scene.

I love the color of the alpen glow, Gary. The line of trees along the bottom does add a lot of depth to the image. You might want to look at where you cut off the right edge of the image. Having it end just after that small peak looks more accidental than purposeful and there might be a more appropriate end point.

stunning scene! The trees in the foreground really give a sense of the enormous scale of the mountain.

Gary: Beautiful light and scene. Just the right amount of FG forest for me. I might get rid of about 50% of the sky. >=))>

Wow, good for you, Gary. Magnificent light on the mountains, and I love the foreground and middle ground layers. This is real pleasure to view, and something to be proud of.