Mt. Hood by Moonlight

Original post

Re-do #2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This one was shot on a camping trip to Lost Lake a few years back (Check out what camera I was shooting with!). A near-full moon was high over Mt. Hood in the early morning hours. I liked the lighting, which was very different from what one usually sees with shots of Mt. Hood from Lost Lake. For this challenge I went back to the original file and started over.

Specific Feedback

The color palette is basically shades of blue. I tried converting to monochrome, but then decided to go back to color and desaturate by 20%.

Technical Details

Nikon D3, Nikkor 70-200mm @70mm, ISO 200, f/16, 304 secs. Processed in ACR and PS. In ACR, I made a mask of the mountain and added some texture and clarity to it. Sharpening with Topaz Sharpen.

1 Like

Gorgeous!! Moonlight and water are a magic combination. I’m glad you revived this one so we can all enjoy it!

If I were granted a wish, it would be to add a tweak of canvas to the bottom so the tip of the reflection has a bit of breathing room. But it’s a small point for a beautiful image.

Thanks for the nice comment, @Diane_Miller ! Do you know of a way to do this in PS?

Oh, you bet!! If you have layers, make a composite layer on top (if you need the directions I should get back on it as I’m in the local bar enjoying a hard-earned Blue Moon before heading out to shoot a moonlight scene in the Alabama Hills, and I should look at my keyboard before I mislead you about the silly key combo. But after that just open the crop tool and drag the lower handle down to expand the canvas a bit. Then check content aware at the top. You may need to clone some artifacts and sometimes several small steps are best. Magic!

1 Like

Back in the room now, with the Blue Moon not enough karma (but it was delicious anyway) as clouds are obscuring any hope of a sunset or moonlight. So – they key combination (hold down in sequence) to make a composite layer on top of the selected one (combining all the layers below the selected one) is, for Mac, Cmd-Opt-Shift-E, and for PC, Ctrl-Alt-Shirt-E. I used PCs for so long that now I have Cmd and Control, and Opt and Alt, stored in the same brain cells. Fustrating.

There used to be a menu item somewhere to do that but I haven’t been able to find it for years.

1 Like

Patrick, this is a very peaceful view, where that feeling is enhanced by the blurred glow of the reflection and the subtle tones in Mt. Hood.

Thanks for the tips, @Diane_Miller! I finally got back to this post. Sorry I took so long. I made a copy of the original image with Cmd-J, then selected the copy and moved it upwards a smidge. Cropped to 3 x2 aspect ratio. Flattened the image. Then did a series of selections with the lasso tool, right-clicked, and used content-aware fill. I just added that version to my original post. I tried moving it up more, but the resulting fill did not look natural. So this is just a subtle edit. Hope you like it!

The final looks good, but I would suggest you try the expanded canvas with content aware fill for comparison. It will be a more elegant solution that will avoid a sharp divide where the moved-up version meets the bottom layer. Instead of lasso selections, which are hard-edged, a more elegant method is quick-masking, to get a selection, with a soft-edged brush. But for what you describe, if it’s at the bottom edge to smooth out the overlap edge, all you might need is the clone tool, maybe at a mix of 100% and more like 50% opacity.

I’m having trouble following you: with your method, what do I select for content-aware fill? What I did was lasso around the bottom, just above the sharp edge. Thanks in advance.

Content-aware will fill a new added canvas area. Select it and it will be filled from adjacent areas. Look at this recent thread about halfway down for a tutorial on content-aware fill:

@Diane_Miller, thanks! Much easier!