My new territory 2

New, in for me new circumstances

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

With my first image from my New territory I learned how to develop an image like this one.
Thanks to Bonnie Lampley for her rework ! And the others who liked my rework. They were all a great help.
Now this one , what do you think ?

Technical Details

F11, 1/60 , Iso 125, 70=200 at 200mm

2 Likes

Yes, this does feel like new ground for you. But as ever, you have an eye for the light. This has a very mysterious feel to me. The softness of the light and the very low colour saturation make it feel like I’m viewing a scene underwater - an other-worldly feel that is compelling.

1 Like

Hi Ben,
that looks beautiful. A nice scene in awesome conditions. I love the soft mood.
And I like your edit as well.

Wonderfully done, Ben. One of the aspects I am particularly enjoying is how the light seems to be coming in at the same angle of the tree limbs. Also love the very soft feel of the lighting.

I am quite liking your images in this high key style. This one has a very optimistic, uplifting mood to it. Extremely minor, but the middle lower area seems to have a bit of a red cast that I might experiment removing, making this more monochrome. No other suggestions. Very good one.

Hi Ben,
Love this one. Love the High key effect, love the mood, love the composition.
Very nice.

@Kerry_Gordon , @Jens_Ober , @linda_mellor , @joaoquintela Thank you all I am glad you can appreciate this image. It was a new kind in developing . @Harley_Goldman , the red cast you saw I already removed. So it’s special you see it still. Thank you for paying so much attention to this image! :smile:

2 Likes

This scene is magical, Ben! I am loving the high key light look and processing as I find this very uplifting and almost spiritual. It almost appears as though the limbs of the trees are reaching out toward the light. Absolutely no suggestions from me.

All said above – I love this magical view through the mist! The blush of color is a common occurrence for me in high key low contrast scenes, and isn’t easily removed by desaturating some colors. I usually just leave it, but if I wanted to remove it completely I’d try starting with a different or even a linear profile. Or I’d go to a B/W conversion and add color back with a Hue-Sat or Color Balance layer.

Ben,

Wonderful, moody and enlightening image. I think most all are getting the same or similar reactions - even “magical” as Diane put it.

As soon as I read Kerry’s comment, I thought, YES I see and feel that! Great comment!

Ben, you could take this is several directions - I see the colors Harley mentions, but I’m loving this as presented.

Ben - This is very beautiful and ethereal. The light is fabulous. I like the barely perceptible light rays coming through the trees.

@Ed_Lowe , @Diane_Miller , @Lon_Overacker , @Eva_McDermott . It’s nice that my image brings the good feeling you all talk about. Thank’s for th e advices , how to lose those colors. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: