New ice + Repost

Another image from a small vernal pond that had melted in our January thaw and refrozen. The crystal patterns of the clear, new ice and the underlying layers of leaves pulled me in.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Sony 6000, 1/160, f/5.6, 100mm, ISO640 with adjustments in LR to tone curves, dehaze, sharpening and cropping.

3 Likes

I like the radial feeling of the ice, John. It gives it a feeling of a timepiece. Also great feeling of the leaves underneath. A totally cool image all around.

As David mentioned, the radial pattern of the ice is what caught my eye. The textures and colors of the layers underneath are pleasing. You could try some light dodging on the ice to bring out the radial pattern. Otherwise, this is a well seen image John.

Thank you, @Alfredo_Mora , for suggestions. I’m not sure of the best way to dodge the ice but have given it a go with more selective sharpening and a boost to texture in LR, both of which seem to help.

1 Like

I’m digging the improvement here John. Nicely done.

I tried dehaze (TK8) and then upped saturation for a similar result to your rework. Similar look to what a polarizer might do.

A nice small scene, John, I really like it for the colours and tones of the leaves and textures of the bubbles and radiating ‘arms’ of ice. I find that my eye is drawn to the two prominant leaves just to the right of centre and the part-leaf on lower right edge and, for me, those are a bit of a distraction to enjoying the scene as a whole and exploring the larger leaves and twigs.
While it is clearly quite a static scene, for some reason it strikes me as being really dynamic. For me, photos that create such a feeling of unexpected tension are wonderful.
I hope this makes sense. Cheers.

Oh, I really like this one, John. The textures, lines and colors are terrific. I like your rework. I will add that to the title so others will know you have made some changes. This is really nice.

John,

Ditto to David’s first comment. That radial extension of lines eminating from the frozen tiny bubbles anchors this scene - and keeps me engaged while exploring all the finer details in the ice and submerged leaves.

Awesome job with the rework. Whatever changes you did (which you mention) most certain enhance that radial effect. Thank you for taking the time to rework and post. Well done!

Lon

@Shirley_Freeman , thanks for this. I’m still learning my way around some of the protocols on this site!

1 Like