Next Gen

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The next generation on brown paper wasps in waiting.

6D2, 70-200, 1.4,Ext, Raynox, F22, Flash with diffuser

Balan Vinod

Technical Details

6D2, 70-200, 1.4,Ext, Raynox, F22, Flash with diffuser

1 Like

The diagonals present in the comp are quite good for the comp. The wasps head is nice and sharp and I like how you can see the contents of the nest’s cells. Well done…Jim

Balan, this is an excellent shot. The black BG makes her and the nest with the contents stand out nicely. Nice details and great composition as well.

Wow. This is tremendous both in technical excellence and artistic presentation. I’m a little goose-bumpy just looking at a wasp this close. And the eggs! I bet those cells got sealed over quickly so I’m glad you had the opportunity to get this. Excellent lines and upside-down position. Makes it very dynamic as if she will fly off at any moment. Do you know if this is the queen?

Kristen, many thanks. I dont know if this is the queen. There are a few wasps in this nest, and some of the egg sacks sealed, I will post one more here.

Balan Vinod

Balan, there is not much more to say that hasn’t already been stated. This is a really fine image. The head and torax sharpness is brilliant. I am glad you opted for an image with great DOF instead of focus stacking. I’m still old fashioned when it comes to macros and love a shallow DOF. The black BG is beautiful, too.

1 Like

Hi Balan, love the eyes on these bugs and this shows it off well. Cool seeing the eggs in the chambers also. Well done.

Many thanks for your words. I preferred the F22, because focus stacking would not have been possible, as the wasp was in motion.

Balan Vinod

2 Likes

Balan: I have to admit that my aversion to wasps limits my enthusiasm but this is a marvelous shot. Top notch in every way. >=))>