Northern Cardinal (Male) in winter

Was out hunting for horned owls a few weeks back (no luck) and came across this male Northern Cardinal perched under a tree. The snow on the ground was acting like a huge reflector and highlighting its head and breast area so nicely. Grabbed a few snaps and off he flew.

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Taken: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Nikon D850 • 150 - 600 Sigma @ 300mm (Hand Held) • ƒ/6.3 • 1/600 sec • ISO 1600
Basic edits and crop in LR

#ig @chrisnoronhaphoto

2 Likes

winter shooting in Canada is certainly problematic from a standpoint of the amount of light one deals with. I actually enjoy the glow on the chest of this cardinal. Nice color and detail. The snowflakes in the background certainly add to the environment. If it were mine, I would clone away several of the branches that are a little distracting.

I guess that is the fun of photography, Chris, never knowing what will pose for us. We go out with one thing in mind, and nature provides something else. I love the lighting on this beautiful Cardinal a lot. The snowflakes are a nice addition for sure. It sure would have made it better to not have the small branches, but I know sometimes we have to grab the first few shots, and if we have time to change our position to improve the background, etc., then we do. I am not the best at cloning out, but probably if you can, David’s suggestion could improve this nice shot even more.

Gorgeous capture! The reflected light makes all the difference.

1 Like

Lovely, Chris. The light reflected onto the breast really makes this image special. I also like the snowy feel to this image. Well done.

Hello, Chris ! As the other mentioned, and rightfully so, the reflecting light makes the image - the red comes out so nicely ! Because of all the branches, it’s a bit busy - maybe you could consider the tree on the lower RHS out , should your ethics allow. Otherwise fine as presented. Cheers, Hans

Thank you @David_Schoen @Shirley_Freeman @Kathy_Snead @Dennis_Plank and @Hans_Overduin for the kind words and great feedback.

I normally like to keep retouching of my wildlife shots to a minimum, but I think I agree with everyone that this would be much more impactful with the distracting branches removed.

Looks like I have some work ahead of me. :laughing:

Best,
Chris

Hi Chris
What the Cardinal didn’t stay for it’s close-up. Nice work. I really like the room on the left side of the frame.
Peter Morrissey

1 Like

Very cool shot. The only thing I would look into would be to clone out that tree trunk on the right. I kinda like the smaller branches all “pointing” to the subject. I would keep them. Just me.

1 Like