November Bloom

I was lucky to find this interesting bloom among the last of the season at a local winery last week. I wanted to capture the bright pink edges.

What technical feedback would you like if any? I would appreciate any comments and suggestions

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any thoughts on composition or background or anything else.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Olympus OMD Mark II, 60mm macro lens, ISO 200, f/3.2, 1/1250 sec (windy day) and tripod.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Lovely soft gentle photo of this unique rose (?) Ann Louise. The OOF background blends in very nicely with the flower and the angle of the stem helps bring my eyes right to the flower. Very nicely seen and captured.

What Linda said! A gorgeous image of a gorgeous specimen! I love the unusual composition and the leaf at the bottom serves as a nice grounding. The BG is very pleasantly OOF. It is so much fun to come in even closer on the edges of petals like this – frustrating fun, though.

I wonder about a darker vignette on the top of the flower to possibly keep the eye lower in the frame? Not a big issue but something to play with, if you haven’t.

Thank you Linda and Diane! I will darken the top of the flower…I was thinking about the corners but missed the brightness of the flower itself. So good to have your observations. Ann Louise

Ann Louise: An intriguing and challenging comp that I like the more I look at it. Well conceived, captured and presented.>=))>

Looks like a great specimen to photograph. I can’t wrap my brain around the unusual composition. I keep wishing to see an intimate shot of the rose which highlights its edges. Guess its too early in the day to widen my horizons. Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Bill and Linda,
I like your contrasting reaction to the composition! It is a little risky but I was determined to capture the lovely red edges. I will go back to the winery and hope to spend more time with this rose next year…on a day that is not windy. Thanks for your input. Happy Holidays, Ann Louise

1 Like