Observing the people viewing the grand canyon

Image:

Description: In 2017 I spent a day in the Grand canyon. I didn’t stay long as dealing with the insane crowds that came in buses from las vegas drove me crazy pretty quick. But in the early hours of the day I got some nice shots including a nice view on the people at the view point. The canyon itself was pretty hazy but I tried to play with light and dark as best I could.

Specific Feedback Requested: Mostly composition. This was my first photography focused trip when I still had a pretty basic camera without changing lenses though it was after I learned to shoot with a manual camera.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: This was shot in jpeg but I tried to do some editing to emphasize the light. I wasn’t sure if and how much editing makes sense in such a situaiton.

Hi Tamar! This is a very nice shot. You got good detail throughout the image. I like your comp too. My only suggestion is to reduce the highlights a little in the near cliff face. Well done!

1 Like

Hi Tamar, this has a great feel to it. A sense of place. The composition is what gives that sense of place too, so well done. Shooting in JPG does limit your options for post processing. I agree with @Steve_Kennedy that you could tone down those near cliff walls. I’m not sure it would work, but trying to do a bit of Dehaze might help too.

Cheers,
David

Hi Tamar,

I think you do have a strong composition. I like how all the elements are pretty well balanced. Even including the pine on the left - it’s one of those things where you need to include enough of something so it doesn’t feel cut off, and so it works well to balance the openness of the right side. I also think you have just the right amount of sky - including more wouldn’t help because of the time of day, lack of clouds, etc. And further, there is enough space above the lookout area to see and appreciate the far side of the canyon. This is nicely captured.

Agree with toning down the highlights, a little dehaze, etc. Maybe something like below, although it’s really in the personal preferences real especially with color and saturation. But I did bring in to ACR and used the dehaze a little, increased vibrance and then played with Levels and also some buring of the bright cliffes. Perhaps a little too far, but you get the idea of the potential.

1 Like