Okefenokee Web

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Cropping / Balance
Did not know where to post please move if I did not get it correct
Thanks

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Early foggy morning slog in the Okefenokee Swamp

Technical Details

Lumix S5

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic and Emotional feeling when viewing

3 Likes

Fresh and lucky - that’s what came into mind when I first saw this. Lovely fresh dew and lucky to find a web so beautifully formed and framed. I love the spikiness of the plant and the softness of the draped silk. Nice BG, too. The greens seem a little saturated to me, but they might have been. Your processing has a stylized look to it in how heavy the lines are and the stained glass effect of the leaves. I like it.

Steve, this is a wonderful find and capture. I would say it probably best fits either in Macro or Flora. It could even go into Landscape, small scene, I suppose. Let me know which you would prefer, and I will be glad to move it for it. I really like the spider web with the dew on it.

It is beautifully captured & I just love the back lit treatment.
Since the main subject is web, it should go in macro.
You may experiment with vertical composition.

Thanks, everyone
This was just after sunrise with the sun breaking through clouds. It created a spotlight effect, the dense growth in the background was getting very little light.
I started with a vertical crop, but I like this crop because it is off-balance. I think the vertical crop had more of a documentary feel, with less emotional impact.
The saturated green was how it appeared for only a few seconds.

Steve: Wonderful subject and a fine capture. For me the web is the undisputed star of the show while the left side of the image doesn’t add much. I cropped this square and 4x5 just for fun and think it works.
On a totally separate point, site guidelines recommend posting images sized to about 2000 pixels on the long side. Posting full resolution images can be an invitation for image thieves. >=))>

1 Like

@Bill_Fach Thanks for taking the time. I like the 4x5 best of all. Better than mine. But the square really bothers me.
Thanks
again

I think the 4x5 is better also but just threw in the square for kicks.

@Bill_Fach thanks for the heads up about the image thieves. Some of the artists I work with will not post on the web because of this.
Thanks again
Steve