Old Blue Eyes

Up close and personal.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had a really good shooting day yesterday. Started off when I discovered this blue dasher on my early morning garden patrol. It was perched on a spent rose with another fresh bloom in the BG. I grabbed a bunch of HH shots with the 70-200 but when it didn’t seem to mind my presence I went back in the house and brought out the high mag rig for the second shot. Later in the day I indulged myself with a trip to the Mercer Arboretum hoping for water lilies. There weren’t any to be found but I got a lot of shots of tropical plants and flowers and some more dragonflys. More to come. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback

Because this guy was so quiet I was tempted to try a stack but there was just enough of a breeze that I settled for single capture. As is it was I trashed over 200 frames and still counting. Thank goodness for high frame rates, large cards and the delete button!

Technical Details

Image 1
Sony A7rIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II, 2xTC, 288mm
ISO 800, 1/40 @ f11

Image 2
Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro, 2xTC
ISO 1600, 1/160 @ f22

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Bill, I really like how the bloom in the BG helps make him stand out so in the first image. It’s almost like a spotlight on him from behind. The second one you really got in close and captured those eyes nicely. Very good details. I’m so glad that you were able to get to go to the Arboetum as well. I should have gone to the Botanical Gardens this morning. This will be the “coolest” day this week.

1 Like

Outstanding, both!! Wonderful composition in both and jaw-dropping detail in the second! Can’t wait to see more!!

Really fine detail - excellent!
Love the blur face and eyes, and the BG.
Stay cool and hydrated! This week and summer looks to be a killer…

Both images are excellent, Bill. I really love the close-up of the eyes in the second. BTW, which TC are you using with your close-up rig, the Minolta or the Sony? I haven’t tried one on my Canon 180 macro and I’m curious if you experimented with both.

I love the first shot with second-hand rose perch. You got just the right angle for the background star. I find the colors complement each other so well too. The second shot is good too, but the first I’d hang on the wall.

BTW, which TC are you using with your close-up rig, the Minolta or the Sony?

Dennis: I have a Sony 2x for my FE 70-200 and a Kenko 2x for Minolta A mount on my 200 macro. I’m pretty happy with both, especially the Sony.

Thanks for the respose, Bill.

Bill the larger version tells it all…fine comp an detail

Balan Vinod