Bedroom Eyes

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After watering the garden a couple days ago I found this Blue Dasher patrolling a corner of its territory. It was very cooperative, even allowing me to place it on my finger. After doing a bunch of stuff with my A7RIII and 70-200 I thought I would break out the high mag rig and see what I could come up with. I think I could have eventually gotten even closer but it was getting really hot so I called it a day.

Specific Feedback

I know the DOF is pretty shallow and I probably could have gotten a bit more but it was a little breezy and I was having to focus manually.

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro + 2xTC
ISO 1600, 1/320 @ f16

1 Like

Very cool, Bill. Those eyes remind me more of the caricature of a begging pet (please feed the poor starving kitten). You nailed the focus right where it needed to be. Great job.

Oh, this is really nice, Bill. Such details in the eyes. I haven’t ever tried to place them on my finger, so that is amazing. I have had them let me get pretty close with the macro equipment as I talk to them softly. I think you did a fantastic job with the focus, and I am totally good with the DOF. Nice job, and glad you are able to get a shot once in a while in your garden.

Fantastic, Bill! Don’t you love their grippy legs? They hold on so well. Great detail achieved, too. That lens does an excellent job for a person who knows how to wield it. Is that the edge of some furniture it’s on? Seeing that it was accommodating, I might have tried for something more natural, but that’s just me. When I fish these or other bugs out of the river I use a regular old stick rather than the canoe oar if possible. If not I transfer them to something like that for any pictures they might me get.

Oh and Dennis totally nailed it with the poor starving kitten idea. Spot on.

Kris: Context coming soon :wink:

Wow!! Amazing! Sharpness is wonderful and the DOF is just right – the eyes are the subject and it’s good that everything else falls off softly. 11/10!!

I laughed out loud at your title - too funny. I like the bit of wing detail we can see, too. The front of its head looks like a dog’s nose!

Hi Bill, love seeing the detail in those eyes and as such the DOF looks good to me. Great job with the manual focusing. Nice lighting. Well done image.

Great catch of the amazing eyes they have, Bill. He reminds me a bit of Homer Simpson, especially the stubble!

1 Like