Bonnie,
This oozes AA “Winter sunrise, Sierra Nevada from Lone Pine” - at least to me! In fact, I’m wondering if the “foothill” at midground on the right isn’t the same hill as in Ansel’s image.
But this of course is your version and this is awesome. I can see where Huw is going with his comments, but I think this is pretty darn awesome as presented! I think he’s right when he wrote:
And so I couldn’t help myself. I made some tweaks. First and honestly this was my biggest nitpick… the roof of the station building mostly blends in with the background hills. The main thing I wanted to do is darken (or lighten) to help the roof be more prominent or more separated from the bg. As it turned out, I manually selected the roof, darkened in a simple Levels adj, and then thought, heck, let’s dodge the surrounding hills… so I dodged a little here and there… then I dodged and burned the foreground, highlighted some bushes, darkened some, trying to give the illusion of ever-changing light, as was happening in the background. Oh, and then I darkened the blue sky up top. At first I went all AA, but then backed off. This of course is a personal choice and I’m guessing you would have darkened the sky had you wanted to.
The snow dusted mountains are perfect. Great contrast, blacks and whites. And I just love the light and shadow play on the midground hills. The power/telephone lines??? perfect, fit right in.
I’m with Huw. Tweak and polish it… then print and frame this!
Processing example based on the original image:
Processing example based on the original image:
