Old Man of the Woods + Repost number 2, Final edit

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Talked this edible Old Man of the Woods edible “fungi” (mushroom) into posing for me. He was found in the woods outside Linsengericht, Germany. If I could do it again, I think I would have removed the pine needle from the top and also the branch on the left of the image. Sorry I don’t post often here.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is welcome to improve my skills…thick skinned so no need to hide emotions LOL

Technical Details

Sony A7R3, tripod mounted
Sony FE 2.8 70-200 GM OSS II
ISO 100
200MM
F3.5
1/13

Edited in LRC and stacked in Photoshop

Welcome back to NPN - this is such a cool find. I think I’ve only ever photographed this species once. I love it except for the fact that it’s nearly cut off at the top. The amount of forest debris is fine with me. It’s an individual thing how much to clean up on site and in post. For me, I’d clone out the stick coming in on the left. The light is really special and I love that it brings so much detail and wonderful texture. Great job getting right on the ground, too. Vital for this kind of microscape.

John, this is an excellent image! I really love it. The detail and texture are wonderful along with the blurred background. I personally would clone out the stick on the left and like Kristen mentioned the top feels too tight and distracts from this beautiful image. Otherwise, it is terrific. The needle on the top is really not a distraction.

Ditto what @Kris_Smith and @Erik_Stensland noted, John. If you’re not averse to altering in software, removing that stick coming in on the left and adding a touch of canvas on top would be a breeze with today’s software. Content aware fill on added canvas at the top might try to use part of the mushroom since it’s so close,but it would be easy to clone over it if that happened. From my point of view, this image has so much going for it in terms of light and subject that it would be a shame not to go the extra mile in processing.

Thank you so very much for the feedback. So many tools within our software and not enough time to learn them all. Following the comments on this photo I will re-attack and post when completed. Thank you again!

Did not see the “fungi” for the trees. :mushroom: :evergreen_tree: :grin:
Goal for next week when I get time is to do exactly as you Erik and Kristen have pointed out. Your feedback is so valuable! Thank you so very much!

OK finally had a few minutes to address the comments from everyone. Please take a look at the edited image at your convenience. Obvious that your critique was very valuable and made the scene MUCH better. Thank you all.

1 Like

Nice job on the repost, John. Now that you got the other stuff taken care of, I’m suddenly noticing how much the bright area behind the left edge of the cap is trying to pull my eye. I think a little toning down there and possibly some judicious enhancement of the light on the cap itself would put the icing on the cake.

1 Like

John: Wonderful subject and lighting. The original with the tight top and stick struck me the way it did Kris and Eric. The rework is terrific and gets you to 99% perfect. Dennis’s suggestion about the bright spot against the cap is the only area for improvement IMO. Top notch image. >=))>

PS: I edited your title to let others know you made some suggestions. It’s always a good idea to let others know to revisit your image.

Sorry for the delayed return to the image. Greatly appreciate the critique and kind words. Final edit with the suggestions of Denni

s Plank and Bill Fach!

Well worth the wait, John. This is really beautiful.

I don’t know how I missed this one, John, but congratulations on the Editor’s Pick. Well worthy. I especially like your second repost.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I am surprised and flattered.

2 Likes