Opening Day

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We have a bunch of these day lilies in the garden and this was the first bunch to open. I forgot to post it earlier but feel like it is a worthy offering even though I’ve posted others that bloomed later already. Was able to isolate this against the BG of our yard which has greened up really well despite another nasty winter freeze in January.

Specific Feedback

Another stack but this one was pretty easy since the flower was pretty stationary and the BG uniform.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II, 2x TC, 400mm
ISO 400, 1/30 @ f8 6 shot stack

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Gorgeous light and subject!! Day lilies could keep you busy for long time! Hope you and the garden are surviving what we hear about the weather down there.

Wow this is amazing!! Welcome to the dark side! Great stack and the colors are so rich and that bg so smooth. Super. Can’t see anything that bugs me.

Gorgeous image, Bill. The stack looks excellent. What kind of grass do you have-that’s an interesting shade of green in the background and I was wondering about it before I read your description.

Dennis: It’s a St Augustine variant called Palmetto. It is a broad leaf grass that likes heat but tolerates shade. It goes semi-dormant in the winter but once we get spring rains and temperatures it comes on quickly.

Bill, I love this version of your day lilies. The stem anchors it to the ground, which was the trouble I was having with the other beautiful frame of day lilies that you posted. The rich colors play off each other so powerfully. I look forward to more.