Three's a Crowd

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Our day lilies are coming in strong and this variety is one of the mainstays in the garden. Spotted this lovely threesome on my morning tour.

Specific Feedback

I’m getting to like this stacking stuff. The BG was pretty messy and the single capture images had sharp flowers but ugly BG elements. New tricks can be fun even for us old dogs. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II, 2xTC
ISO 400, 1/320 @ f5.6, 15 shot stack

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

This trio is gorgeous, Bill and your stack worked very well. The only fault I can find with this beauty is one little spot of brighter green and the junction of a couple of petals. I took the liberty of downloading your image and circling that area as the easiest way to point it out.

A wonderful image.

Beautiful, Bill, and a 15 stack; do I remember correctly that you don’t have focus bracketing on your camera? What program are you using to stack the shots? I do feel like the blossoms look like they have been “pasted” against a BG. I can see why there are no steams to anchor them because you would be shooting down on the blossoms and the steams would not be in the frame to show their connection to the BG. It is an inevitable outcome from the POV you have chossen. Just a candid observation of no great import.

Barbara: I’m using Helicon now. With the 70-200 in manual mode I get a magnified image when I change focus and there is a scale on the bottom of the screen that lets me adjust in small increments. So far it’s working well.

A wonderful stack of fresh flowers!! The sharp edges of the flowers are awesome. To me the softness of the BG doesn’t suggest a cutout. Welcome to the dark side!!! Banish messy backgrounds!!

My mother had many varieties of daylilies but I don’t remember one this gorgeous color.

Just gorgeous, Bill! This should be hanging on a wall somewhere. I love the colors of the blooms, they are so rich. Having three blooms I think is nice. The grouping of them and the way they stand out against the BG makes it 3D looking. I don’t think I would have picked up on that little spot that @Dennis_Plank found, but now that I am aware, it probably would make this an even better image. Wonderful lighting too. Great shot.