Opposing Marbles - B&W

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve photographed this location in the past with just the rear wall of rocks. In this scene I wanted to have the FG wedged rock with the other BG wedged rock in the same image. The span between the two points is about 50 to 75 feet across the deep crevice.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya “C” 65mm lens - Singh Ray 2 stop soft grad - Velvia 50

4 Likes

Paul: Rough country! Everything looks hard and the B&W amplifies the feeling for me. Bravo. >=))>

1 Like

This is one of the most striking images I’ve seen from you, Paul. Just mesmerizing. There’s a 3D quality that belies its seemingly simple composition. Just fantastic in the landscape, the textures and the angularity contrasted with the softness of the primary boulder. I remember Velvia as being a color film, so if you then morphed it to monochrome that was the thing to do, clearly. The way the two wedged rocks seem to be connected is really powerful.

1 Like

@Bill_Fach @Kris_Smith as always I appreciate each of your expertise on items I might have missed with my aging eyes in the processing procedures… :nerd_face:
I spent a lot of time on this one as I do not do enough B&W conversions to lay claim to being comfortable as with color scenes. This of course was taken with Velvia 50 and I have posted it some time back as a color version. However, I lean toward liking this version better for the depth it seems to provide here. I find the old NIK software helps me with these color to monochrome changes too… :sunglasses:

@linda_mellor:camera_flash:

2 Likes

Wow! I love the contrast between the angular patterns and circular boulders. The black and white seems perfect to accentuate the lanes and shapes.

2 Likes

This composition is so striking. The title perfectly emphasizes the tension of the image; the marbles seemingly suspended. I would love to visit this area. We don’t see anything like this in the PNW😂

1 Like

@Cathy_Proenza @madd_laura …I’ve been to this location a few times and have images with only the BG formation without the FG rock included. This was actually a separate outing that I decided to try the inclusion of the singular FG rock too. As this was a converted color image I did not plan the conversion until recently.
Thank you both for the comments… :smiley:

Wow, this is most excellent, Paul! The b&w treatment works really well since this is all about those shapes.

1 Like

Paul, the contrast between the rounds in front and the angles behind suplemented by occasional rounds is very striking. The grain in the rocks has me thinking I can reach out and feel the roughness of this aged granite.

1 Like

@Bonnie_Lampley @Mark_Seaver …I sincerely appreciate your comments on this scene. I did want to make a point Mark about the angles you mention. Not sure how the “rounds” ever found their way into the mix geologically, but to me the stacks of angled & triangulated formations is unique, at least to me… :nerd_face:

The rounds have weathered in place. The bottoms and sides of the fractured blocks weather out, leaving a space beneath the blocks.

1 Like

I love the 3D look!

1 Like