Orange Damselfly

I had e different damselflies in our flower garden posing for me yesterday evening. I liked this orange one. I hadn’t seen that kind before.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything that would improve the image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shot with Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon f2.8 L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash with diffuser, HH, at f10, 1/200, ISO 200, manual settings. Edit in LR. Full frame pretty much.

2 Likes

Wow, what a little beauty! Judging by the orange color and the barely-there shoulder stripe, this is a young female citrine forktail (Ischmura hastata). As she matures she will fade to a dusky blue with some olive on her shoulders and eyes and a dark stripe down the top of her body. Granted my book is for the Great Lakes area, but it looks right.

The shot is beautifully composed and sharp, but the midtones look a trifle muddy. Lifting them might bring some sparkle. Also maybe level her off so she’s not at an angle. She probably was, but visually us humans like things straight across. :grinning:

1 Like

Wonderful! I’ve never seen an orange one so it’s a treat.

@Kris_Smith , I’d like to see the body at more of an angle, to add a little more dynamic emphasis to the tiny subject. I’ll often tilt my camera to try to do that if the surroundings won’t look off-kilter.

I’d consider a blur to the leaves in the UL corner, as well, and/or crop a little from the top and left.

2 Likes

I love the color and focus on this subject Shirley. I also find it interesting how the pattern in the background matches the position of the dragon fly.

1 Like

Really nice capture! I vote for more tilting, and I agree with @Diane_Miller regarding the ULC.

2 Likes

Wow, Shirley! I’ve never seen an orange damsefly before! It’s beautiful and I love the soft background colors. It’s a very beautiful image. I personally don’t have a problem with the position, it looks normal to me. But I’m no expert! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Wonderful capture, Shirley. Great detail and colors are spot on. As for the angle of the damselfly, IMHO, the way it is now seems quite natural, however it might be fun to experiment with the suggestions both @Diane_Miller and @Ola_Jovall suggested to see if the angle would add some more dynamics to the scene. Great capture.

1 Like

Shirley, this is a fine look at this “young” (teneral is the technical term) damselfly. Several members of the Forktail (Ischmura) family can be orange when they’re young. The sharp hairs on that leaf make a fine leading line.

1 Like

Lovely Shirley and very well done. I wonder how a pano crop mostly from the top would look? I had also noticed the bg pattern matching the damselfly.

Shirley, I like the bright line that forms from the edge of the leaf and continues across the image with the orange of the damselfly. The bright colors are a pleasant and striking contrast to the more neutral greens in the background. The focus is amazingly sharp on such tiny features.

1 Like

You all are so kind, thank you for your time and your comments. @David_Leroy, I hadn’t thought of a pano, but that certainly would work with his body being long (well, he really was just over an inch long I think) and thin.

1 Like

Beautiful capture, Shirley. I like the idea of a pano crop, as well.

1 Like

Shirley: I’m late to is party but this is a great find and a superb capture. Ditto what Mark said. Top notch in every way. >=))>

1 Like