Oregon Coast "Landscape"

I took this photo on a recent trip to Port Orford on the Oregon Coast. I found it at the base of a gangway that was exposed during low tide.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

7 Likes

This image made me think. Without reading your description, I thought it was a landscape that you had creatively photoshopped in some way. I really like this.

1 Like

Chris, what an eye you have. This is astonishing. Excellent closeup indeed.

Oh wow, what a scene. Congratulations on finding, recognizing and shooting it so well. The barnacles are a sort of surreal touch and I love the way the middle layer looks as if its wet and sort of like a borealis at the same time. The high “clouds” are so great. Composition is spot on to bring these elements together to form a new kind of landscape. Very creative!

A great example of nature creating something for us to refashion to our vision. And of course it needs the photographer to discover and record it, which you have done superbly.

@_Kris @David_Bostock @Mike_Friel @nichole Thank you all for your great comments. Glad you liked the photo.

Fascinating image. It certainly fooled me. What are trees is actually algae. The sky is bedrock. And the rocky foreground are barnacles. In the end it’s the barnacles which give it away though, and help you regain your senses. What’s amazing is that the algae actually feign trees sunlit with directed light.

Ho. Lee. Cow!!! Amazing and wonderful!! Great eye!

Incredible. The best part is, regardless of what it actually is, it is a compelling image. Outstanding abstract.

Chris, this is a lovely view that looks like a pointillist, abstract landscape. On a close look, the barnacles at the bottom show the scale. This is great fun because from afar it’s very painterly and then up close it reveals a totally different reality.

What a fascinating photo! I love that it looks like an abstraction of a traditional landscape yet is made up of both manmade and natural elements that are completely disconnected from the implied subjects (mountains, trees, sky). Really wonderful work.

What everyone said! This is truly well seen.

WOW! everyone sees something unique and different in this beautiful abstract. Chris I can imagine you first visualizing it and wondering what it would look like photographically. Thank you for finding this little gem for all of us to see. WOW!

@Igor_Doncov @Bonnie_Lampley @Norma_Tareila-Matley @Kerry_Gordon @Diane_Miller @Mark_Seaver Thank you very much!!!

@Sarah_Marino I greatly appreciate your comments, Sarah.

1 Like

How terrifically interesting this is, Chris. It almost appears as though you had cut the earth in half: lightning bugs dancing among the trees under a night sky, with the crust of the earth and its innermost layers exposed for our viewing pleasure. The only giveaway would be the barnacles at the bottom of the frame, though they could easily be cropped out, which I think would really make this photograph shine in all its abstracted beauty.

Thank you for your very poetic comment, Cody.

Congratulations Chris. This is exceptional. I don’t know what you were looking for, but good for you to see this, to recognize what it could be, and to capture it. As people have pointed out, it is a landscape, but not; it is abstract; it is pointillist. It might even be a little surreal. Some would say it looks painterly, but I will not do that to you. I love it!

2 Likes

I am late here, but I just have to say what an amazing image this is! Great to find this small scene and very well executed. Great that you have included the barnacles at the bottom for us viewer´s to get a clue.

@Ola_Jovall Thank you very much, Ola.