Specific Feedback Requested

Constructive Comments

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 10D
Tripod/Cable Release
ISO 100
F8 Aperture Priority

Hi Terry, this is a very interesting image. At first I thought it might be an HDR image, not sure. The color saturation is pretty strong for my eyes. I downloaded and brought it into Photoshop where I dialed back the saturation. This gave me the opportunity to see past the colors to the composition of the photo. I also converted it to B&W to allow me to focus on the shape and structure.

Your image has a definite foreground, middle, and background. The sky has some great cloud movement going on. I see a couple of dust bunnies in the sky, easy to clone out.

The hills are very unique and I like how you’ve placed them in the frame. The side lighting gives us a great look at the texture of the hills. I get the feeling there might be some halo action where the hills meet the sky, another easy fix.

Thanks for sharing this, Terry. While the saturation is a little strong for my tastes, it is an engaging image.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Beautiful shot Terry. The layers and colors really work well here and main subject is very compelling. I noticed a few dust spots in the sky that you might want to clone out. I think I would personally dial back the contrast a tiny bit and make this a 4x5 crop but that is just personal taste. It’s beautiful as it.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments!

Terry,

I really like your landscape view and composition here. There’s a distinct, fore, mid and background - that sky is complimentary to the scene. A very nice near/far landscape.

I’m not sure if there’s a good line to crop to in the grasses, but I gave it a shot based on Blake’s 4x5 crop suggestion. I also took the liberties - hope you don’t mind and backed off a little on the contrast, saturation and played with the shadows - quite a bit of blue and red in the shadows. Mostly used vibrance/Saturation as well as additional Hue/Sat layer with a Levels Layer and Color balance to tweak things. It’s difficult working with jpgs already processed, but hopefully you get the idea.

Reminds me of the colors you get in Capitol Reef or Zion National parks. You captured an interesting subject and a wonderful foreground. Dust bunnies and halos aside, you have a good composition made even better by @Lon_Overacker and I also like the reprocessing that Lon applied to the image. It was a bit contrasty and colorful in the original but I very much like what Lon did to tone it down just a smidge. I would also rotate clock wise just a little bit but you certainly have the makings of a fine image Terry.