Osprey Fishing Sequence

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Persistence and luck. Three Ospreys were circling the shoreline and it took quite a while until one dove down and caught a fish (my arm was getting tired holding the camera up) and was lucky to have one in focus when the action occurred.

Specific Feedback

I like the wave action, but should I crop them more to put greater emphasis on the Osprey?

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/4000 at f7.1; ISO 640, 640, 320, and 400 respectively.

1 Like

Wow wow wow! What amazing photos…any single one of them stands alone as well! And the wave action is very special as well!

You asked about cropping…this might not work for the first photo but I would be interested in seeing without the sky as it is distracting and not necessary. I think there is room to crop it out just below the horizon. As well the sharpness of the bird and fish’s eyes are amazing in the bottom two.

Again what an amazing sequence! You didn’t ask but my fave is number 3…so nicely framed by the waves and the slight angle of the bird towards you gives an extra dimension.

1 Like

Awesome sequence, Allen!
Personally, I feel that the crop shown is perfect in all four images!

So glad you were able to capture this sequence before your arm gave out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really nice series Allen! The action you captured is fantastic - glad your arm held out to get these. I like the crops as is to tell the story and give a sense of perspective to each image. The action combined with the pounding surf is really something. Terrific captures.

1 Like

Allen, these are terrific shots. Those waves are really a nice addition, making it feel like it wasn’t so easy for the Osprey to see and capture the fish, but was very much successful. I really like the last one showing to fish so well. Pretty good size fish. I like the crop as is. Great sequence of shots.

1 Like

Excellent series, Allen. I would tend to favor cropping a bit more from the top and left in all the images, taking the sky out completely in all but the first. To me this is about the osprey fishing in relatively active surf and we don’t see that shown very often, so emphasizing the waves feels important to me.

1 Like

Outstanding sequence. I know the feeling of holding that 100-500mm for any length of time. I’m ambivalent about the sky. You can’t crop it completely out in the first photo, of course. After that, I reckon it’s a matter of taste. Well done.

1 Like

All are excellent. I do agree with Dennis re: cropping some sky in no. 1 and all in others. It does bring more attention to the osprey. I would not crop any of the left in nos. 3 and 4 but would in Nos. 1 and 2. Love the wave action. Great action shots.

1 Like

Outstanding work here. All images are quite sharp and perfectly exposed.

1 Like

I love this sequence Allen. Kudos on your persistence to get these.
I do agree with cropping out sky. The sky pulls my eye away from the osprey.
My pick for the fave standalone image is #4 because you can see it all: the osprey with it’s great wing shape and eyes, the fish, and a really nice wave shape in the background.

1 Like